Genre: Indie, Simulation, Strategy, Early Access
Developer: Stray Fawn Studio
Publisher: Stray Fawn Studio
Release Date: 15 Sep, 2016
Release Name: Niche a genetics survival game v0.3.0
Game Version: Update 0.3.0
Game Releaser: DEVO
Size: 196 MB
About This Game
Niche is a fresh blend of turn-based strategy and simulation combined with roguelike elements. Shape your own animal tribe and find an ecological niche for it to live in.
Keep your tribe alive against dangers, such as hungry predators, climate change and spreading sickness. Resource management and smart breeding based on real genetics are key in Niche. All worlds and animals are procedurally generated.
Niche is played from a top-down perspective, giving the player a god-like view over the board. Rounds are represented by a day cycle, in which the player controls animals to move and perform actions (collecting food, scouting a new field, mating, attacking a predator, etc). Animals have a limited lifespan, which makes procreation indispensable. An animal’s characteristics are defined by its genes, which are being passed on to the next generation. Challenges come in form of animals dying and dwindling resources. The game is lost, when a player’s tribe goes extinct. In the next game a new world is generated, but the previously unlocked genes remain.
Games that inspired us
– The Creatures series
– Spore (mainly the first stage)
– The Curious Expedition
– Black & White
– Don’t Starve
While playing Niche, the player is introduced to the scientific mechanics of genetics (featuring dominant-recessive, co-dominant inheritance, etc). The game also features the five pillars of population genetics (genetic drift, genetic flow, mutation, natural selection, sexual selection). All knowledge is interwoven with the game-mechanics. This creates the effect of learning by playing.
- Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows® 8, Windows® 10
- 2 GHz Dual Core
- 4 GB RAM
- nVidia® 8800 GT / AMD® 4670 or faster
- Version 9.0c
- 1 GB available space
1. Extract Release
2. Launch The Game
Update Preview 0.3 – Jungle Biome
The February update is here ^^
It’s not quite finished and still rather buggy, that’s why we uploaded it on a separate branch. This preview version is labeled as version 0.2.3.
The timing is a bit unfortunate. We were offered a booth at the GDC this week, so we will be off to San Fransisco on Friday and be gone for about a week. So please have a little patience with us in terms of response time.
What is new?
– New island travelling system (Once travelled there is no way back, islands are randomly connected)
– 3 new islands (Jungle/Grass Island, Oasis Island, Jungle Island)
– New biome: Jungle (along with 3 new predators)
– Changed sickness mechanic (having two different immunity genes is more important)
– Added Albinism and Melanism
– Messaging System that lets you know what is happening
– Option to banish creatures from your tribe
– Inviting creatures to join your tribe will cost you food
– Possibility to build nests
– Lots of big + small fixes and improvements such as an animal portrait in the UI
– New abilities (Scent Disguise, Stealth, Odor Disguise, Distasteful Appearance, Distasteful Scent)
– Spiky Body no longer hurts pack mates (unless it’s licked)
– Added new types of perception (smelling and hearing)
How to get the update:
> right click on Niche in your library
> click on properties
> select the beta tab
> enter “AccessBuggyJunglePreview” and click check code
> select the dropdown and choose JungleUpdate
> the game will update, please wait (restart Steam if the game is not updating)
> play 😀
This update features a lot of new content and we had to rebuild the game quite a bit. Because of this older save files will unfortunately not be compatible with this update.
If you are a Youtuber/Streamer:
Please inform your viewers how to access the update and let them know it is a preview version.
Now the big bug hunt and feedback round begins.
We would be very grateful if you could help us with this.
Thank you all very much for your time and support 🙂